Friday, April 25, 2014

Diary Of The Year's First 3-Mile Run

0:00 - Not enough time to make the gym today, so we'll just go for a run instead. I've been stationary biking all winter so I should transition easily enough.

3:00 - The first uphill leg of my 3-mile route seems to have gotten steeper over the winter. Darn erosion.

6:00 - Nice, long, even stretch of sidewalk past the school. My legs are finally loosening up.

9:00 - Downhill time! It's like having super speed. Just have to avoid the garbage in front of the student apartments.

12:00 - Who knew how much of an energy drain super speed could be? One last uphill grade to the halfway point.

15:00 - Ohhhhhkay. Time for a walking break. Not quite a gasping break. Maybe just a panting break. Of course I keep my head high as traffic passes by. Pulse rate is 150 beats per minute. If life only has so many heartbeats, I've got about ten more minutes to live.

18:00 - Gentle downward slope. The break helped. Legs still loose.

21:00 - Whoa, where did all this wind come from? I just turned the corner and am facing a mountain. Mountains don't have tornadoes, do they?

24:00 - Unngh. One foot in front of the other. Biking is not running. Biking is not running. Biking is not running. No wait, positive thoughts. I'm positive this wind is a world record. Is it possible for the heart to explode through the rib cage? Nuts.

27:00 - Another walking break once I topped Mount Vernon Avenue. Whew. Back near the school where children are playing. Pace yourself kids, don't run your way into a coronary!

30:00 - The final downhill to the finish line. I either have runner's high, or the oxygen has drained from my brain. I have lost all fine motor skills including the ability to stop my momentum or change direction. If a car eases up to one of the cross street intersections, I will end up in his back seat. It's just that simple.

33:00 - Home! Mental note: Allow more time to get to the gym tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great piece Joey.