Sunday, April 27, 2014

Spa Review: Massage Envy

A generic mailing arrived in my box for a spa called "Massage Envy" offering an introductory massage for $40. Since massages around here usually run $60 I figured it was worth a try. Especially since its normal price was stated as $80, so I knew that the odds of my experiencing it were otherwise slim, even though it was attractively advertised within ten blocks of my house next to Gordman's at the College Hills Shoppes.

I called to schedule something for Tuesday morning, and received a couple of firsts for me as a massage client:

- A voice recording about the possibility of recording the conversation for quality control purposes. So that's what some of the extra price was paying for.

- A request to reserve my appointment with a credit card number. Naturally since I'd never heard of Massage Envy, was encouraged to call, and then asked for financial information I was inclined to decline. I told them I'd just drop in to finish the confirmation.

The woman who'd answered was polite and asked several wellness-oriented questions about my target spots after clarifying that my massage motivation was more for health than relaxation. Since I've had several massages trying to work out my ongoing tennis elbow, I found the questions encouraging.

Another first when I got there: Advertisement that walk-ins were welcome. So I scrapped the Tuesday plan and enjoyed the convenience of a wait as short as a haircut.

During the 15 minutes until my appointment I filled out two pages worth of detailed paperwork asking several questions about customizing my massage. Two questions I found interesting were whether I was comfortable being massaged on my chest and abdomen (neither ended up being part of the full-body massage), and whether I was enrolled in a tax-sheltered savings plan (I liked that question because I am, and have been thinking about taking a tax credit for this therapeutic work).

The front entrance was hopping, with four people up front trying to handle the crush of interested clients during their opening week. I thought they did an admirable job of not leaving me standing around; they offered me water and eventually refills (not bottled by the way, in case you thought some of the price was going to that). Their tranquility (spa-speak for waiting) room is just a few paces to the right of the entrance so on this day was not-so-tranquil; my guess is that it's usually more restful but with location so close to the foot traffic coming in it's something to consider.

The high-touch, wellness-oriented theme continued. A separate, friendly employee returned with my paperwork to ask me more specific questions about my massage needs. I could tell that she then went and conferred with the therapist, because she chatted me up about it as we walked past the dozen (!) massage rooms to the back. I could see why they could handle walk-ins with all of those rooms. Four of the rooms are multi-purpose, doubling for facials as needed. They do skin in this way, but not hair or nails like other spa/salons in town.

The massage itself was average at best. I tend to be a massage-talker and she was friendly conversational. Considering all of the wellness-packed gathering of information, including my indication for deep pressure around the tennis elbow, what I received felt like medium pressure with few knots actually released in my back (it's usually a gold mine of trigger points).

What else I learned:

- As a national chain (another first - a Bloomington-Normal spa with national affiliation), if I got a membership it would be good across the country.

- Therapists are paid partly on commission. I was upsold an extra service, and at the end, was given a diagnostic evaluation by her recommending a 90-minute massage within the next couple of weeks. To her credit, despite my mentioning that I was in the market for an exfoliant, she did not jump at the chance to sell me product.

- The room was cold for me. Some of that was definitely my doing, as I hadn't eaten anything all day by this afternoon appointment. However vents were blowing in the room which couldn't be turned off, thicker blankets were not an option. Fortunately the table warmer eventually did the job.

I have a feeling that this place will succeed at least for a while even though the price point is out of line with the market, due to the energy and professionalism of the staff, the stately appearance, walk-in convenience, high-touch involvement of extra staff members, wellness focus and the allure of national membership benefits. Take advantage of the introductory below-market rate offer and see for yourself.

No comments: