Saturday, April 12, 2014

It's Finally Getting Warm: The Week In Thanks

The needle's going to hit 70 degrees today with sunshine and daylight easily past 7:00. I need to come up with a term that describes a day like this. Someone once wrote that there are 17 good weather days a year in our town, and this is shaping up to qualify.

It was energizing to be among a talented group of leaders like Beth Kimmerling and the Leadership McLean County graduating class of 2014 at last night's ceremony. On the off chance that I'd won the Alumni of the Year Award I'd have made a couple of points:

1. Find what you love to do, and commit to doing it as much as possible.
2. Choose friends wisely.

The relationships I've gained through LMC are valuable resources and good friends.

Naturally I comment on the terrific weather by looking out the window of the Normal Public Library, my home away from home. I now have the privilege of serving 26 students. Several of them are reporting back A's on quizzes and tests, one is feeling good about the ACT, more than a few are closing in on their goal to graduate. The library itself is a gift to me, one that is well-staffed by kind people, progressive enough to offer computer stations like this one, and convenient in expanding the seating areas for adult guests like me. My business would be much different without this place. Dozens of students are benefiting from it.

Today is the 1st birthday party of Jackson Stevens, pride and joy of our band leaders Sean and Jennifer, and unofficial mascot of the LifeTeen ministry. We are blessed to have leaders so committed to the cause, playing at retreats, concerts and weddings even while nursing and raising a family. The family feel spreads through the whole group.

My fantasy basketball team is cruising toward a strong 2nd place finish, while my fantasy baseball team enjoys a 2nd place standing of its own. With LMC behind me and a school-free summer in front of me, I aim to be as competitive as ever here.

Dena came out to support me at LMC graduation. She also contracted a construction deal with an engineer, negotiated prices for our condominium waste disposal, provided excellent minutes as secretary, and met with an electrician to spruce up some areas of our house. All the while she's done commendable work at First Farmers State Bank, met with private clients, and continued to help raise a cute kitten. Like I said, choose friends wisely... they don't get any better than Dena!

Taxes are behind us, Jack's birthday has come and gone, and the week ahead is free and clear for grass to start greening and close-toed shoes to start being packed away. It's finally getting warm. Off we go!

No comments: