Sunday, January 25, 2015

Ryan's 40th Birthday Present

Dear Ryan,

Sometimes the best gift of love that one man can give to another is to tell him how much he has meant.

If it wasn't for you (with a special nod to Lori for seeing my blog post way back then), I would not have had the opportunity to coach basketball. To experience the pain and thrill and life lessons that derive from basketball scores. To sit by your side, strategize day and night, learn how to help high school students - and often howl with laughter along the way.

I would not have had a stream of math students you've referred to me to sharpen my tutoring skills these last six years. Almost certainly I would not have tutored 700 hours and 90 students last year. Their lives, and certainly mine, would be poorer without the support you've given to get me started. How much longer would I have suffered a joyless insurance job without that adventure unfolded before me?

You have a way of making me feel like the most important person in your life when I'm with you, however infrequently we may see each other and despite the role you play in helping literally hundreds of other people throughout the year.

Take care of yourself friend. The world needs at least another 40 years out of you.

Joe

No comments: