Monday, September 3, 2007

Join the Circus!

The orientation to Leadership McLean County's 2008 class is September 13, and the program's chair reserved 100 tickets to see the Great China Circus performing at U.S. Cellular Coliseum.



Being the competitor that I am, the idea of going to a circus held all the appeal of dish washing. In fact as a child I recall two occasions where I was so antsy to leave that Mom had no choice but to drag me out -- my 1st grade teacher's wedding, and Ringling Brothers Barnum & Bailey Circus. At the time she said that she was never taking me to the circus again, which was the best gift I could've gotten. Surely the clown guild was pleased to have open seats reserved for true admirers.

But now I find increasing satisfaction in telling stories rather than counting victories (Note: Country Joe, top that story!). Sometimes I hear people talking about how quickly life is passing by... the work week, the summer, the year. These people can probably remember more easily the events of their school years, when time was separated into clean blocks with new groups of friends, new teachers, new buildings. Is time really accelerating, or have we simply greased our lives with sameness?

Variety's said to be the "spice of life." Maybe it's more than that. Maybe it's also the brake of life, allowing us to cruise through at a leisurely pace and relish the scenery.

No comments: