Sunday, September 16, 2007

Talent + Knowledge + Skill = Strength

Upon further review, the "strengths" discussed in earlier posts are actually more like talents... naturally recurring patterns of thought or behavior. To determine strengths:

1. Identifies the most dominant talents -- the ones which absorb us so completely that we lose track of time. I can think of a couple personally. Competition is one (as I sit here and play Madden football at 1:00 a.m.). The other might be analysis -- I've scrutinized fantasy baseball stats, arranged data on spreadsheets, and developed procedures for hours upon hours. And creative writing is up there, too. So is teaching.

2. Gain knowledge through immersion. Read, observe, ask questions, practice. Learn the facts, learn what works and what doesn't.

3. Put structure around the knowledge (skills). That's an easy one for me -- structure puts me in my comfort zone. It's why Hidden Blog chronicles learnings from a variety of sources in one central place.

No comments: