Monday, December 31, 2007

2008 Preview

One of the phrases that sticks with me is "what gets measured, gets done." It's why the IRS puts an April 15th date out there instead of "hey, whenever you can get around to it, it's all good."

In business, the concept of aligning short and long-term goals gets a lot of play. At Hidden Blog, that means looking at the vision statement to the left and figuring out what baby steps to take in 2008.

2008: Become "Mr. Positivity"

One rule that's served really well for the last two years is "no negatively charged e-mails." As a general rule, that means to avoid complaining, sarcasm, woe-is-me, anger, condemnation, dire predictions, and all their ugly cousins in my writing. Mr. Positivity would find a way to translate that to conversations as well. So in 2008, for at least one month, I'll keep a daily count of how many times I catch myself slipping these into conversation.

2012: Catch Country Joe

I'll average at least 50 posts a month. And I'll keep searching for tricks to step up the search engine ladder.

2017: Read 100th Book Since 2007

I read ten in 2007. I'll read at least ten in 2008.

2027: Retire at 15% Body Fat

There are several parts here. As far as retiring, I've created a set of 2008 goals at work that should satisfy expectations. Physically, I'm going to return to the doctor and see what the next step is in healing my back. Also, I will avoid candy-like sugary eats and drinks, with some exceptions for special occasions. And since I know that I can run 5K even with the bad back, I plan to run at least one race of at least that length.

And away we go!

No comments: