Saturday, December 15, 2007

Learn, But Delegate

"Officers are told to delegate authority and empower subordinates, but in reality they are expected never to utter the words 'I don't know.' So they are on constant alert, riding herd on every detail. In short, the system rewards micromanagement by superiors -- at the cost of disempowering those below." -- Captain Abrashoff

I do experience the expectation to have answers, since it does make business move faster when I have them. And that has driven me to ask for more detailed accounts from those who work for me. I see a difference, though, between having answers and disempowering others. Because as long as I'm well-educated in the matters of most importance to my superiors, it doesn't matter who made the decisions along the way.

No comments: