Saturday, December 15, 2007

An Instant Mood-Lifter

While walking in to work the other day, amidst a December drizzle and absorbed in the challenges of the hours ahead, I brushed past a person walking a little more slowly than me.

"Hey, Joe!" he called from behind. It turned out to be a distant acquaintance of mine, a friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend sort of thing. We had a pleasant conversation for the next two minutes.

That small gesture of friendship turned my mood entirely around! The difference between sun and shadow can be so thin sometimes. In his situation, I don't know that I'd have done the same thing. But it'd be a good idea, because my improved mood no doubt impacted the others I worked with that day. Knowing that, there'd be as much joy in the giving of that gift as in the receiving.

No comments: