Friday, December 21, 2007

The Right Agenda

"I made it clear that my only agenda was helping the Navy improve, with all due credit to my superiors, not to myself." -- Captain Abrashoff

I'm sure he would include his subordinates as worthy of due credit as well.

This issue of a more casual dress code at work is an exercise in clear expectations and the right agenda. The policy is mostly absent any specifics. I plan to become a walking model of my own interpretation, because people are looking to me to be open about my expectations. People with influence over my career will judge me superficially as a less valuable employee as I move toward more casual attire. In the end, though, it feels the most honest way for me to support the policy to employees... one that the company has deemed to improve its work product, even at the possible expense of my own career.

No comments: