Thursday, January 6, 2011

It Auto Be Easy

"The measurement of a man is his response to adversity." - Anonymous

A recent mental health workout came when I was surprised to see an e-mail arrive from Allstate entitled "Your recent auto insurance claim," in good part because I hadn't filed a claim, and also because it was New Year's Day when I presumed that no one would be working.

There's a bit of uncertainty here to be sure. Who filed the claim? How if at all would my record be affected? Was there presumption of fault? What costs would be incurred when they come to inspect my car? With a $500 deductible and fairly minimal damage, should I decline the inspection?

There's good reason to believe. I got the name of the claim processor and can contact her on Monday. I asked the toll-free weekend service whether or not any payment might be made prior to contacting me, and the answer was no. The inspection is probably necessary if only to establish that I'm not at fault. If the other driver has not filed a claim, then I may be able to just close the file... perhaps they just auto-initiated a claim file due to the police report.

No comments: