Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Wake-Up Mile

Some mornings, not too long after I roll out of bed, I get my day's exercise taken care of by going for a 3-mile run.

Since I tend to do my stretching later in the day, my legs often have the consistency of mush as I first meander onto the sidewalk while traffic whizzes by.

Clop, clop. Clop, clop. Clop, clop.

My shoes sound like an old mare heading back to the stable.

The air is somehow thicker than usual, like passing through water.

Little aches and pains introduce themselves in unusual places.

Did I mention the first quarter mile is all uphill?

Experience has taught me that this is what the first mile is like on my runs.

And in most things I try for the first time.

Experience has also taught me that it gets easier. My body adjusts, warms up, loosens. I find my stride.

I will get the hang of this. It's just a phase. I am destined to succeed. I will not fret.

And life gets better, by inches and miles.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thumbs up joe!