Friday, January 20, 2012

The Wonderful WyzAnt Of Ahs

This morning I took the next step in my tutoring career.

I enrolled as a math tutor at www.wyzant.com. (Note: I originally wrote "meth" tutor there, different career)

This will be my first time as an independent contractor, working on commission! 60% of my fee comes to me.

I discovered the site by Googling "bloomington normal math tutor."

It was easy to fill out. Seven short steps and now I have a bio, photo, and profile. It may take a couple days to go live.

It asked what rates I'd charge. Typically $35-$65. Couldn't bring myself to charge that much right off the bat though. $30 seemed about right for a guy without an education degree who's been at this on a volunteer basis for a couple semesters.

If felt a little dramatic as I pushed the button to agree to the legal terms and put myself "out there." Like there was a bungee cord around my ankles, but with much lower risk of converting my spine into a jigsaw puzzle.

My expectations are low. I advertised myself as a high school and college tutor. My time's limited during basketball season anyway. But I believe that an independent business is a multi-year plan, so the time is NOW to start laying the foundation and gaining experience, for better and worse.

Getting out of bed for this adventure was a piece of cake!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Its like you read my mind! You appear to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you can do with a few pics to drive the message home a little bit, but instead of that, this is magnificent blog. A great read. I will certainly be back.
adidas Women's Response Skort