Thursday, May 24, 2012

Birthday Buoy

I knew shortly after I was cast that I'd be spending my 40th birthday on stage.

What I didn't know is that it'd turn into a birthday bonanza!

About a month before, one of the cast members stands up during a meeting and announces that she and another member share the same birthday - May 20 - and invite everyone to join them for a birthday party at TGIFridays.

My jaw dropped.

What are the odds?

God works in mysterious ways.

So as not to upstage (no pun intended) the announcement, I waited until the next day to tell her, and there were hugs all around.

Last Sunday was the day.

I picked up Dena at home, and we walked in to a grand feast.

A pile of birthday cards flocked to me.

After putting our food order in, there was time to walk Dena around for introductions to all my theater brothers and sisters.

One spent six hours baking us a chocolate cake shaped like a mountainous Hairspray teased-up wig.

The three birthday kids posed behind it for pictures.

There was singing, laughter, food and drink.

Those closest to me know how much I've been looking forward to turning 40, but I hadn't dreamed of this.

I can't imagine a better way to have spent it.

God's good!

No comments: