Monday, August 13, 2012

Musical Finale

Last night the final curtain fell on our Damn Yankees production around 5:30. We had the set torn down in less than an hour.

We headed out to a lake house for an after party one last time as a cast, jammed to Rock Band, snacked and dove into the lake. Hugs and good-byes were made roundly, and it was over as simply as that.

There were no tears from me this time around like there were in Hairspray. Actually, I felt a surprising sense of freedom and happiness while driving home. Like the wife Meg without her Joe Boyd in Yankees, it was time after a good five months for Dena to have her husband home, or nine months if you count her stretch as a basketball widow dating back to last November.

I'm thankful for a new round of friendships and memories to share, and also for dozens of personal friends who came out - I'm guessing that we entertained about 600 people in all. I've learned more about dancing than I had in the rest of my combined years.

The future has returned to a clean slate, no definitive plans for a musical in sight. I've got a good book in hand, and plenty of time to get back in touch with Hidden Bloggers, with the cozy feeling of a man who's completed a great adventure.

No comments: