Wednesday, August 22, 2012

What Are Your Five Most Precious Memories?

It's said that our most precious five memories in life are a guide to how to build our next five. Off of the top of my head, they'd be, in no particular order:

1. Draining the free throw line jumper off a press steal that capped a stunning 18-second comeback from a six point deficit in grade school. The final score was something like 26-24, so eight points in 18 seconds was amazing. No 3-pointers back then!

2. "Do you want to go out again?" Dena asked me, as we stood in her parents' driveway after our first date and said good night. I said yes, and she kissed me on the cheek. Seventeen years later, it still looks like a pretty darn good call!

3. Jen Gresens and my Walker Hall pals threw a surprise graduation party for me in my senior year. So shocked. I'd never been personally celebrated with that kind of gusto. Quite an overwhelming and humbling feeling. My college years were some of the best of my life, and little since then has come close.

4. Winning the sophomore basketball tournament last year. I've Hidden Blogged about that at great length previously. What a team.

5. Winning the alumni of the year award from Leadership McLean County. In those days working with LMC was a labor of love, and the rolling waves of appreciation that applauded the announcement was a powerful validation that I was following the right path.

If history is any guide, life will remain bright as long as I choose and treat friends well, stay around the game of basketball, and apply my passions for teaching, coaching and facilitating.

How about you?

No comments: