Thursday, May 28, 2015

Approachability/Authority Scale

Being authoritative or approachable are the North/South Poles of first impressions. What people see first is your attitude. What they see immediately after that is how you put yourself together, your style. Together, these are your unspoken credentials.

Think of a sliding scale of work attire between blue jeans (the pants of the people) to expensive, custom-made suits (the togs of the toffs) at the other.

In my tutoring business I tend to go for approachability when I meet with students. Hooded sweatshirts, sweatpants, gym shoes are the norm. However, the sweatshirt bears my professionally designed logo, the hair and nails neatly trimmed. Then I accessorize with a professional-grade computer bag over my shoulder and a firm handshake when we first meet.

As they say, Dress so you feel at the top of your game, in a way that makes you feel you can conquer the world.

No comments: