Sunday, May 17, 2015

Find Out What You're Getting, Then Get What You Want

"Find out what you're getting. Pay attention to all the feedback you get and learn from it. Then change what you do until you get what you want." - Nicholas Boothman

Some of the kindest feedback I've gotten this year came at the tail end of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, when a cast member wrote a note that said "You are a great example of a Christian man." To be regarded in that way is about the highest honor I can think of, and one that'd make Mom & Dad happy too.

Embracing constructive feedback is not the most natural part of who I am, but I did embrace it as best I could through the Dirty Rotten Scoundrels experience. From the moment I was cast in a lesser role I believed that God was teaching me humility, and the growth in my ability to play drunk on stage and to dance more lightly on my feet was a satisfying exercise in seeking feedback from the experts.

No comments: