Sunday, June 7, 2009

Nights In Rodanthe

The Freidinger clan hunkered down in the living room on a few nights of vacation to watch DVD's until bedtime. This gave me my first view of Nights In Rodanthe starring Diane Lane and Richard Gere.

Two troubled, emotionally volatile people find their way to a huge, elegant and mostly vacant summer place on the beaches of North Carolina. She's a caretaking employee, he's a popular surgeon visiting the family whose mother he tragically lost during a routine cosmetic procedure. Eventually they each take on their personal struggles as the result of a couple of passionate nights (aided by some hurricane-induced snuggling) - she battling an ex-husband and resentful daughter, he coldly estranged from his patient and his son. These are believeable problems, and the solutions soften the heart in just the right way. I'd call it a perfectly fine movie, except for a disastrous twist and implausible ending.

I'm glad I watched it for the excuse to hang with the fam, and it'll settle in nicely with Dead Poets Society, My Girl, and other generally feel-good stories except that not all the main characters finish the race.

No comments: