Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Exercises To Strengthen My (Family) Core

"A huge part of ensuring that your core is strong is allowing the members of your team to be a part of what you do. I always wanted my wife, my girls and now my sons-in-law and grandchildren to be a part of what I am doing at Duke." - Mike Krzyzewski

I'm no strong family man, but I do realize that in order for my relationship with Dena to grow, I need to be interested in sharing her experiences in the things she loves. Most recently she's been elected Vice President of the local Kiwanis Club. Traditionally this person subsequently becomes President-Elect the following year, and then President.

Kiwanis' mission is to change the world one child at a time. So while children aren't a mission that I identify with, it's fun to listen to her dreams for the direction that the club can go. I try to help brainstorm for ways that they could position themselves to grow.

I'm lucky that she's passionate and confident enough to step into a leadership role even though she's a non-spotlight person. And it gives me a chance to draw from some of the leadership things I've read and done through the years to give as much as she needs.

1 comment:

VBUG Team said...

Nice post Joe, I enjoyed reading your inspirational post.

My life belongs to me and that includes my personal life and my professional life my dreams and my ambitions and the successes or failures that I have. The single most important thing that gives me this freedom is my power to choose. I take choices every day and this strengthens my freedom.

www.twitter.com/grahamRparker