Saturday, June 27, 2009

Terrors Of The Night

It's been a year since I wrote an original song. They usually appear out of nowhere, the first verse or chorus a seed that sprouts up in my mind at odd times. In this case, it was late one night when my brain was in one of its misbehaving fits. Ever have one of those? It spins from one thought to another, a series of often small issues that seem monumental while tired and pretty much unable to do anything about it.

TERRORS OF THE NIGHT
Joe McDonald, June 2009

A
It was dark, but my eyes searched the blackness.
D
It was quiet, but my mind still roared with worry.
A
The problems tumbling through my head

Lying here in bed,
E
So paralyzed where sleep has turned to dread.

CHORUS

A
But the terrors of the night
D
Will break against the day
A
The terrors of the night
E
Unless I let them stay.
A
For we are meant to be as one
D
Who wins beneath the sun,
A E
So I will turn my mind and slip away
A
From the terrors of the night.


What she said, what he did, or they didn't.
D
Does it matter what they'll say or what they'll do?
A D
I will act, I will speak, or do nothing.
Bm E
I'll make mistakes and still I will pull through.
A
I may lose money or home or health or occupation.
D
I may lose family, or friends or rights or good reputation.
A D
But love and persistence will be the way to salvation.
Bm E
It just seems so far away as I lie here.

(Chorus twice)

OUTRO
A
Every day, in every way, things are better and better.
D
Every day, in every way, things are better and better.

(Repeat OUTRO and fade)

No comments: