Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Fantasy Hoops Champion

Another fortunate season of fantasy basketball victory!

The team started out in a bad way. The center position was especially weak. Roy Hibbert showed some promise, and Blake Griffin was a gamble. Some observers would be surprised to hear that Griffin turned out to be a bad gamble for the most part, since his atrocious free throw percentage, middling (for a center) shooting percentage and lack of assists/steals/blocks made him a poor man's version of Dwight Howard (who, in this league format, is also pretty poor himself).

My #1 pick Steve Nash had a decent but unspectacular start.

David Lee, my #2 pick, got injured in a freak accident.

Channing Frye, one of my three point shooting assets, was awful... so awful that I dumped him.

However, things turned around when I took advantage of Griffin's media popularity for his high-flying dunks, picking up Tyson Chandler as a double-double machine.

Manu Ginobli overachieved, especially in steals, keeping me afloat.

Lee got hot.

I picked up Chuck Hayes and Shane Battier, basically giving up on doing well in points in exchange for increased returns in assist/steal/block categories... which paid off handsomely.

Ray Allen was steady all year.

The key to victory in the end was the low turnover rate of the entire team. Despite logging more games of stats and any other team, I had just the fifth-most turnovers.

With three weeks to go in the season, I picked up some short-term picks with good shooting, free throw, and rebounding averages.

I pulled into first place with two weeks to go and led to the finish.

Once again focus and determination overcomes obstacles to take the win!

No comments: