Saturday, April 23, 2011

Happiness Project Week 1

I've been participating in this online project for a week now. A couple random times a day I get an e-mail survey asking random questions to assess my current mental state.

How am I feeling, on a sliding scale of very bad to very good?

Do I want to be doing what I'm doing at the moment?

Do I have to be doing it?

How focused am I on what I'm currently doing?

Where am I, who am I with, am I interacting with anyone?

Was I evaluating my thoughts?

I think that last one is a key to happiness. In meditation, a person acknowledges thoughts as objects and then dismisses them like a stray gnat, so as to keep the mind clear. Even when not meditation, plenty of thoughts show up at the mind's door that deserve the same treatment.

This week Rob and I just about melted brain cells trying to unlock a puzzling problem at work. We took a break and I realized how high my irritability meter was. Time to step back. Is it really this big a deal, or is there an easier way? Before long the solution presented itself.

No comments: