Sunday, October 28, 2012

An Army Of Less Than One: The Week In Thanks

This post comes at a good time, since it's been one of those weeks where not enough grateful thoughts have been running through my mind - which can be costly.

I scored a significant accomplishment at work, polished off the transfer of about a thousand "knowledge articles" that I'd compiled into a searchable Wikipedia-style site at the office. By Thursday I was feeling pretty good about what the future held.

Friday turned out to be the end of the long stretch of calm in the work flow, as a bunch of stuff came in and caused me to work twelve straight hours and miss my exercise time.

The improper response was to vent via e-mail at one point during the day, a long-standing no-no that I'm usually fantastic at obeying.

The thankful person would have realized that there are soldiers fighting in Afghanistan who are fired at around the clock for months on end, with no comforts of home. Lamenting the occasional swamped day of work is pretty lame!

Besides the success of my wrapping up the long project, several of my actuarial co-workers passed the certification exams they had been studying for for months.

Two of my friends were very successful in a karaoke competition.

Phase 1 of my tooth-crowning went smoothly, alleviating the pain that had lingered.

My hearing is back to normal after a productive trip to the doctor's office for professional cleaning. The experience also reinforced that I'm much better qualified as a businessman than a soldier, since I could be tortured into sharing vital government secrets as simply as sticking a vacuum tube into my ear canal (although maybe the nurse practitioner just missed her calling as an information-extractor from enemy forces).

The Cubbies' National League is well on its way to World Series victory; the Fighting Irish, Crimson Tide and Bears all won yet again. Even the Derrick Rose-less Bulls had the best preseason record in their conference, and my fantasy basketball team is stacked with talent so I'm pleased with the draft.

We got some plans in place to see Mom; after her diagnosis of B-cell non-Hodgkins lymphoma (leukemia of blood in the bone), it will be especially good to visit. Fortunately, it's a slow-growing malady.

The largest measure of thanks to God I'll give this week, then, is for a mind capable of forgiveness of self and others, to adapt to the failings of one week so as to cleanse the next, and as always to focus on dreams of the future and not the phantoms of the past.

No comments: