Sunday, October 14, 2012

Championship Rolling: The Week In Thanks

There are some weeks when most everything turns out right. When that happens, I think back to a small group leader of mine years ago who said that he'd come to believe that our earthly purpose is to "Give thanks to God, and enjoy his provision."

This was the best week in the office that I've had in months. A key executive meeting featured two high-profile projects I was involved in, and it went quite smoothly. We've been exploring a new generic e-mailbox to service miscellaneous requests, and had one of our best weeks in keeping up with the demand. My boss tossed me a research project which I nailed in less than an hour. A couple of struggling employees brightened up. I was finally able to catch up on some much-needed documentation.

Meanwhile, my career development continued to blossom as I got my tutoring web site up and running, and received testimonials from a handful of students to populate it:

bntutor.com

I received yet another new student, and am now up to eight scheduled hours of weekly sessions. Over the course of a school year that would amount to over $7,000. I think it's safe to say that not only is tutoring going to meet that new year's resolution of becoming a $12,000 a year job, but that it's further ahead of schedule than I'd dreamed. It has been a great gift and I'm excited to hold up my end of the bargain.

Yesterday the gradual descent into wintry weather took a day off, and I was able to take a run through mild, temperate, calm spring-like air. It's been a good spell since I've had any significant injury, and it's peaceful to go through my series of stretching exercises. I guess you could say that I find my center when I'm doing this - and literally finding my balance.

Notre Dame and Alabama football are both undefeated!

The Cardinals gave us a dramatic rally to keep their drive for a repeat championship alive!

We got to spend a long-overdue evening with our next-door neighbors and take in dinner and a movie. The condos on the market continue to sell after a long malaise.

The priest at the church has invited the band to a meet-and-greet dinner. It ought to be nice to have some true fellowship time, apart from the bustle of Sunday morning rehearsal. I look back at my prior band experiences and am thankful that I've learned that striving for a joyful quality sound is better than a perfect technical sound. Music fits my life better as a supplementary (yet bright) accessory in it, rather than being a vital part of my identity, so I'm able to smile at both the successes and the imperfections.

The horizon continues to be enticing. Basketball (real life and fantasy) is cuing up soon. The World Series is nearly here. And Hidden Blog has nearly surpassed 75,000 page views, apparently on its way to crossing 100,000 by my next birthday.

Go Cards, Go Irish, Roll Tide, and thanks be to God!

No comments: