Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Breezing Through The Day

"Turn typhoons into tail winds."

One of the routes around my neighborhood that I'll occasionally jog starts with a noticeable uphill climb for a quarter mile.

Some days, in addition to the fact that the first mile of any run is usually about shaking the legs loose, I've faced winds upwards of 25 miles an hour.

Faced with that unpleasant reality, the mantra that runs through my head is that at the end of my run I'll be sailing home like an Olympic champion!

I once had a boss who was pretty unreliable. We had weekly scheduled meetings and she might or might not show up on time, or at all. She showed little interest in my work. On a personal note she rarely showed interest in my interests or well-being.

Often times my mind has jumped to that personality as a frustrating one, perhaps demotivating, a "nobody cares about me" sort of whine. You know, the kind of victim mentality that self-poisons your own day. How silly!

Because the disinterest also benefits me as the opposite of micromanaging, which is a much more true difficulty for my work style. The absence of involvement gives me great freedom to manage my team and my day as I like.

Sure, my chances of career advancement are lower when the boss is disconnected with what I do, but Hidden Bloggers know that I'm completely satisfied with my current job level and not seeking more of it.

Whiner or winner - we have the opportunity to be either, in the way we view most any situation. Might as well be happy!

No comments: