Sunday, October 6, 2013

It's Who You Know

"A lot of life is really about who you know and making sure you hold on to those relationships. My big break was when I was hired to represent a company started by people I knew from high school."

Exactly!

My job at State Farm was due in good part to my resume accumulated in college. But what act specifically led to the job? When an employee at the last minute decided not to return from maternity leave. The company hunted locally, contacting the adviser of the actuarial program - the person who I'd spent four years building a relationship with. I could've spent my college years just taking classes and being the best student I could be. It might have made just little enough difference to count, though, if it hadn't been for making the effort to know people.

Do you know why I sing at Epiphany church these days? It's because I met Jennifer and Sean through the musical Hairspray.

How did I end up in Hairspray? Because of Wendi introducing it to me, when I went with the Kiwanis Club and Dena to see a play there.

How did I meet Wendi? Through a choir at a church.

How did I join that choir? Through friends at the church who invited us.

How did I meet those friends? Through my days tutoring at ISU.

Adventures are like prospecting. You reach out and meet new people, and eventually an exciting door opens up.

I'm meeting 30 new people through Leadership McLean County. Will one of them lead to my meeting the President someday? Or the fourth degree of contacts I meet after that? I don't know. But past success makes it easy to enjoy trying.

No comments: