Wednesday, October 30, 2013

When The Sewer Smells Like Lavender

"You can transform an unpleasant experience (like dealing with a gruff boss) by pairing it in your mind with something pleasant. The meaning you attach changes the experience." - Marc Schoen, Ph.D.

God's final nudge to me into teaching took a familiar form - a boss ordering me into his office to (rightly, by that point) question my commitment.

In reality, it was a grim moment hardly worth replaying. Naturally it played fairly often in the days that followed. In time, I came to change a few details in my mind. He extended his hand warmly and congratulated me on my retirement. As I walked out the door, one of my favorite songs came on the air as if I were a relief pitcher coming out of the bullpen for the big save. I stepped outside into warm spring sunshine and breezes, free at last (that part is actually true).

These days when I wake up, I like to envision myself climbing onto a bus with God as the driver. My path is set, steering and crashes are no concern, the view is leisurely. It's a peaceful ride.

No comments: