Sunday, October 13, 2013

Top Three Lists: The Week In Thanks

This week's medical minute had me on my back, sliding mechanically through a large whizzing doughnut while a computerized voice instructed me to hold my breath (to minimize movement) and, thankfully, to resume breathing eventually. Such was my first CAT scan. Within two days I had the results by voice mail from my doctor's nurse: Kidneys normal, no sign of stones or anything else. And so the Mystery of the Komplaining Kidneys continues, once again solved by the medic as a likely kidney stone that had passed by the time I was examined, after a steady week of dull, occasionally flaring ache. I'd be fine if this was the last chapter! I'll credit my God-given kidneys for healing themselves, with a tip of the cap to the almighty mecha-pastry that gave the all-clear sign.

I learned recently that one of the best predictors of success is long-term perspective. I've endured enough tests of patience through the years so that the following were not that big of a deal:

1. Downside: We got lost driving to a small group meeting last Sunday. Upside: The four of us had a just-as-pleasant (if not more) small-small-group meeting back at their house.

2. Downside: Our next door neighbors got a puppy with Great Dane lineage, and a howly disposition when left alone. Upside: Puppies grow out of it, and our neighbors have been considerately asking if it's too loud for us.

3. Downside: Our church band was short-changed on rehearsal time and performed on a wing-and-a-big-prayer. Upside: We pulled off an a capella Communion song amazingly smoothly with four voices, and I've come to appreciate the adventure of pulling stuff off like this in underdog fashion, rather than striving for perfection always.

The tutoring business grew again this week:

1. As mentioned in my earlier post, the process of getting up and running with the county is remarkably simple and not prohibitively expensive. I did it in less than an hour at two sites downtown.

2. I met with mentors from the national SCORE program; volunteers who help business owners get up and running. They gave me some useful advice, and some goals to chase in the next month, which is like candy for a guy like me. Mentors in my mind are a snapshot to the future, a chance to anticipate future challenges and prepare.

3. I was offered a deal to join a marketing web site on a trial basis. It led to an interesting request, and I will actually be bartering my tutoring services in exchange for another person's services. Plus it gives me another track into the home school and religious communities.

In the last two weeks I've received a total (including the one above) of six new potential students. It might translate to only a net gain of a couple actual new students, but the fact that my reputation is spreading is gold unto itself.

Shortly after finishing my usual cardio routine of making 100 baskets, I got invited into a 3-on-3 game of hoops that ended up becoming four games, and a two-hour exercise segment. From which I can be thankful that: We won all four; I injured nothing. Fortysomethings around the globe will agree that the second item is the much better accomplishment. This paragraph was brought to you by Ibuprofen.

Dena and I enjoyed a date night of Monical's pizza and Mystery Science Theater 3000, which has popped up on Netflix recently, along with a new season of Saturday Night Live. Netflix has been a fine substitute for cable TV (minus the live sports, most of which is covered by streaming radio), and the date gave us a fun time to look ahead to our California visit to Jack next weekend.

Leadership McLean County is ramping up extra this week, as we encounter a poverty simulation on Thursday and an historic teaming up with another leadership program in town. The representatives on both sides have jelled well, and the rumor is that the simulation is eye-opening and humbling. Worldwide, 1 in 7 people go to be hungry every night. No one that I know is in that situation; most are trying to cut back on calories. That's something to be thankful for. I put together a blog to summarize LMC's progress this year, to pleasant reviews and over 500 views so far:

www.lmc2014.blogspot.com

I learned several other bits of news around that put a smile on my face:

1. The Bears won to go 4-2 on the season, worth enjoying while it lasts; the Cardinals grabbed a 2-0 lead in the playoffs (I'm a fan through marriage).

2. My old State Farm department will be hiring 10 new people next year. This should greatly help their chances of righting the ship, and by extension my many friends there.

3. The economy (at least our stock portfolio) is up more than 10% this year!

This afternoon I was able to spend another sunny day on the deck reading about fitness, sports and humor. We've been graced with so many of these days in the last five months. Fall chill is around the corner, and I've logged enough warm memories to last the winter.

Two final thoughts.

Last week I drove down a city street and saw anti-abortion/pro-life protesters lining the streets delivering a clear message. While I'm not generally well-schooled on when life begins, the demonstration did get me to thinking about how lucky I was when Dad and Mom came together - after years of trying - with their first successful pregnancy. It can be challenging to personalize God without seeing a human form, but it is easy to connect who I am with who my parents have been. The thought of them watching over my shoulder guides me in the right direction.

Today in church the minister called upon us to "Stop, and consider God's great love for you." In the pursuit of peace through love it is enough for me to believe that there is a God, loving and powerful, responsible for the quality of life I have today. Peace and love is not a state I've nearly mastered, but the passage of time donate increasing evidence that I can get there. With that, let the new week begin!

No comments: