Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Farewell To Randy Perry

Randy Perry's last sermon at Calvary United Methodist Church was last weekend.

Randy joined Calvary shortly after Dena and I were married, in 1999. The church was coming off of a pastoral placement that had been a poor fit. Randy turned out to be an excellent fit.

During his nearly 15 years at Calvary's helm the growth spurred a new building in an upward-trending part of town. The youth program exploded in popularity, as did the membership of the church. Calvary became a shining star in a denomination of long-dying ones.

I personally gained a great deal during our time at Calvary. I discovered music and was given the opportunity to use that gift for others, as well as my teaching skills. My administrative skills left something to be desired, but these got stronger by trial and error in an environment that was safer than my then-corporate career. The mistakes I made as a leader at Calvary made me a better leader in my paid job, and probably a better husband too.

Randy's leadership style gave me much to think about. I came to emulate his unspoken principle that it's better to be seen than heard in a meeting when you are the leader. I adopted a more encouragement-driven than bottom-line attitude in my speeches. I learned never to send a negative e-mail. I distinguished the types of behaviors that offended and inspired different personality types.

Calvary may look back on this as a golden era in its history. No ordinary pastor could have fueled that.

I'm extremely happy for Randy and wish him a graceful retirement. As he would say, "May the words of my mouth, and the meditations on the hearts of all of us be acceptable in your sight O God our strength and redeemer. Amen."

No comments: