Saturday, May 17, 2014

Tolerance For Failure

"Lincoln had great tolerance for failure because he knew that if his generals were not making mistakes they were not moving." - Donald Phillips

I was in a meeting yesterday where I took a position on an issue. Once I laid it out there, it was instantly challenged. I listened to the explanation for the counter-position, presented support for my position, and then left it on the table to be decided. At no time did I feel anxiety, which is a leap from my younger days. Ideas are just ideas until they become part of personal ego, at which point they become irritation.

My presentation, which could have been accepted, was a failure in a literal sense. And also in the best sense, since it provided extra consideration to the group in making their decision. Good failures are learning experiences.

No comments: