Wednesday, May 7, 2014

I've Got Some Nerve

During my physical I got a new diagnosis on the ongoing discomfort in my elbow.

I'd had it examined by a trainer and physical therapist, who concluded that "tennis elbow" was the culprit. It may have been, but the treatments did only moderate good in relieving the pain.

Eventually they recommended a massage therapist, who has done wonders in relieving the tension in my forearm and should that I believe was seeded by the hoisting of 5,000 basketball shots last summer.

Doc Poag felt around for a while, after my 6 months of attempted self-treatment, and identified it as a tender nerve in the ulnar tunnel of my joint. That made sense to me, as "irritation" is a good word to describe the sensations that have plagued that region.

The general consensus is that surgical treatment is the best remedy. I may be trying Doc's alternative of acupuncture in the near future. I was pleased that he certified massage via prescription, confirming my tax-deductible nature of the expense.

Weekly massage. One more item on the list of ways that my life has become more awesome in retirement.

No comments: