Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Why Work At Heartland?

Working in the Heartland Community College walk-in math tutoring lab I only make a fraction of the pay that I do in my business. So why do I do it?

For one, they have an emphasis on training. Once a month there are a few hours of Saturday lecture/activities to get us thinking about math-specific topics, or the challenges of a diverse student population, or teaching certain types of personalities.

For another, it's an exposure to learn things at no cost to the student. I have several statistics students, finite math, occasionally calculus. Many use technology like StatCrunch or various models of Texas Instruments calculators, which I have learned quite a bit about these last eight months.

Importantly, it's the atmosphere. You get the sense that no one here is in it for themselves, they get a deep-seeded satisfaction from helping other people. They also take interest in the lives of each other. The pace is scaled way back from the corporate world grind.

Glad I'm here while it lasts!

No comments: