Saturday, May 17, 2014

Practicing Your Practice

"Extemporaneous speaking should be practiced and cultivated. It is the lawyer's avenue to the public. However able and faithful he may be in other respects, people are slow to bring him business if he cannot make a speech." - Lincoln

Whatever the profession, it's important to be immersed in the skills. Speaking or relationship-building are always near the top; you have to be able to read a person's values and state of mind and help meet their needs in order to be fully successful.

This morning I'll be working on a final exam review packet for geometry. Even though I know the curriculum for geometry will be changing next year so that this packet will never be used again... it gives me practice in the subject matter. It will be a valuable guide as I determine what topics I'll teach my summer geometry students amid the uncertainty. And it will refresh my skills on some of the geometry topics.

We're either growing or shrinking. Growth is a daily commitment.

No comments: