Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Library: My Second Home

I'm lucky to have the resource of the Normal Public Library in town. The staff is great, the facility is comfortable. I call it my home away from home.

For some, it's the closest thing they have to home.

Yesterday (and with some frequency) there was an elderly woman sitting in the library carrying three large bags. It had the kind of look as if all her worldly possessions were in them, and well-worn. As she read a book, a strong long-since-showered stench crept into my nose. While waiting for my next student, I had to shift to another seat.

I can't know for sure what her situation was, but you never know what circumstances place a person into a poor material state. That evening I knew I'd have a shower and a bed and clean clothes ready for me when I needed it. You pray for those who lack those basics, and thank God for the ones you have.

No comments: