Friday, July 13, 2007

American Idle

My ears perked up when I heard that fans could enter a contest for a chance to lead Wrigley Field in song during the 7th innning stretch. I wrote a dazzling 150 word essay with all the right ingredients -- a reference to my not-too-formal experience singing in a band, to the contrast between Steve "Stonie" Stone and Ozzy Osbourne's past stretch performances, to the fact that I'm a lifelong Cub fan willing to drive 250 miles round trip to compete. In fact, there are actually two rounds of American Idol style auditions in Wrigley a month apart where contestants are videotaped, put online and voted upon by the fans to determine the winner. I would do it!

I sent my entry in three weeks ago. And here I sit... and wait... at the proverbial altar... Like my beloved Cubbies, it looks like I'll have to wait 'til next year.

No comments: