Monday, July 16, 2007

Wistful Thinking

Mom turned 66 today. While we were talking on the phone she mentioned that the Indian Lakes golf course on the fringes of her home had been bought out by Hilton (the chain, not the ex-convict). The two 18-hole golf courses will be replaced by some 9-hole courses and a training area. But the holes closest to the backyard had actually been bought out by the town, to be converted to a public walking area.

As she started to remark about the impact on property values and how the locals weren't asked for their input, my mind wandered momentarily. Maybe Jack and I should get out there and try to play those holes one last time before they're gone forever.

The right side of my brain then kicked the left side of my brain into submission, reminding me that I hadn't held a golf club since last century. It'd be even money which would last longer if I tried - the memories or the slipped disc.

The point is, if the thought of losing something that we don't care about can make us yearn for it, how much more would we appreciate what we love, if we stopped to imagine life without it?

Suddenly, I'm off to give Dena a kiss...

No comments: