Monday, July 2, 2007

Fantasy Baseball

Quick tidbit: I play fantasy baseball, the game where you get points based on your players' statistical performance. Here's the routine: Each day, pick the nine batters and five pitchers that you think will do the best from your 21-person roster. Their stats for the day are tabulated in each of ten different categories: Runs, Home Runs, Runs Batted In, Batting Average, and Stolen Bases for batters; Wins, Strikeouts, Saves, Earned Run Average and Walks/Hits Per Inning Pitched for pitchers. Twelve teams are in the league. The statistics are accumulated throughout the season. So if you are leading a category, you get 12 points, and 1 point for last place. In all, 10 categories x 12 points = 120 points maximum. This is my sixth season playing, and each year the teams are formed completely randomly and anonymously, so that my opponent teams are completely different from the year before. For all I know, I'm competing against a bunch of 12-year olds. The fact that I've won the league for the last two years running supports that notion.

My team's name is Pure Hustle IX. It stems back to an intramural college basketball team I played on for a few years, named Pure Hustle, then II, then III. That team knew that its days were numbered when we reacted with horror to the fact that we'd made the playoffs.

As of today Pure Hustle IX has rallied from sixth place to first and has 93 points, opening up a pleasant 8.5 point lead. I spend a half hour to an hour per day in research. One year it paid off especially well when one team suddenly quit, spilling all of its talent into the free agent market, while I was sitting online. Think piranha.

Later!

No comments: