Sunday, July 29, 2007

The Ultimate Cub Fan Essay

Here's what was in my application for the contest, thanks to a little playing around to make it fit within 150 words. For non-insiders: Recall that the contest has two rounds (see the American Idle entry earlier in this blog), hence the two trips. They said that the winner would be based in part on talent and passion for the Cubs, so I made passing mention of my singing experience as well as references to broadcaster Steve Stone's very competent history of singing the song, as well as Ozzy Osbourne's legendary trashing of it during his attempt (instead of singing "I don't care if I ever get back, he sang "I don't know what I'm supposed to do.").

In 1984 the Cubs clinched the division championship against the Pirates (a.k.a. the Bucs), triggering the Cubs' first playoff appearance in 39 years.

Why would I make a 250 mile round trip -- twice -- just for an outside chance to be a Guest Conductor? Is it because I'm a great singer? No, though I've sung in a wedding and can hit the notes like Stoney (and much better than Ozzy). Mainly, it's because growing up as a kid, the mod in our house rose and fell with the Cubbies, and I can't wait for Dad to look down from heaven and see me leading Wrigleyville in cheers when we clinch the division against the Bucs just like in 1984!

No comments: