Monday, September 5, 2011

Find Your Life's Path Through Your Gifts

"For [Walt] Disney, vision was never a problem. Because of his creativity and desire for excellence, he always saw what he could be. If you lack vision, look inside yourself. Draw on your natural gifts and desires. Look to your calling if you have one." - John Maxwell

Draw on your natural gifts.

The other week I had an opportunity to give a presentation on the department's 3-year strategic and operating plans. The goals are identical to last year. Employees with much of a track record would know that the operating plans would also be similar to previous year's, since obviously two of the three years overlap with the old one.

And I was totally psyched about the chance to do this!

I worked lunch hours and evenings on it with great enthusiasm. Dreamed up some fictitious comments from the chairman. Imported a picture of a mixed martial arts champion. Wrote and recited some poetry. Even danced a little.

It was affirming to hear that others liked it. In no small part, it's because I liked it first. Embraced the challenge of capturing their interest and maximizing the fun and productivity of that hour.

Years ago, some people told me that I'd make a good pastor. That was quite flattering, though since they were pastors, I'd overlooked the context in my appreciative state. I'm not nearly a spiritual role model for others... but I do love to teach!

At the office, people ask me if I've taught before. Tell me that I could do a good job with children because of the creative way that I present things. I remember years ago a person remarking after a presentation that I missed my calling. She was so right on. Give me an audience and the right topic, and I'm in an artist's heaven.

Would we rather die in a million-dollar home or with million-dollar memories? Today's a good day to start building.

No comments: