Friday, September 9, 2011

Triumphant Tragedy

Whether by God or by coincidence, most every path is a good path if one chooses to see it that way.

There's an old story about the man whose son broke his leg riding a horse, which he lamented until there was a draft for a war that could not claim him.

There's a band that I've been on the sub list for, for some time. Two years actually, without a call. Without even a communication. I tend to think that I've been phased out. Grounds for irritation? Sure. But not if there's another opportunity out there that knocks on my door next week, a better one that I'm free to pursue in light of my free time. And naturally, I've been able to pursue coaching and teaching in the interim.

Being a numbers guy, I happen to remember that 20 years ago today was my first kiss and first serious girlfriend. I also remember the date that it ended. In between, I learned a lot about how not to be a good boyfriend. That's helped make me a better husband.

The past with all of its hiccups sets us up for a unique and rewarding future, once we set our mind to making it so.

No comments: