Monday, September 12, 2011

Notes On Republican Presidential Debate 9/12/2011

What's your plan to balance the budget while protecting seniors?

Gingrich. There's so much waste that if you'd just modernize the federal government, you'd get the savings. I balanced the budget four straight years. Go to Strong America Now, who says that if we modernize the government, we'll save $500 billion per year.

Santorum. I think we have to keep a prescription drug component for Medicare, but we have to pay for it. It initially came out 40% under budget. One-size-fits-all does not work. I trust the American people.

Perry. I would not vote to eliminate the prescription drug benefit. [Note: moderator asked a question a second time to clarify... Perry basically said 'I already answered that.' I get the sense that his irritability meter is always one click away from the red.]

Romney. I wouldn't repeal, I'd reform.

Paul. We spend $1.5 trillion in needless overseas wars. We should cut Department of Education and Energy.

Bachmann. We must emphasize personal responsibility.

Note: This is a highly supportive audience! They applaud just about every other statement. Even the comments about pulling youth out of Social Security drove wild cheers from seniors in the room (it's Florida, so this is pretty much everyone).

What's the first thing you'd do to try to recover the economy?

Huntsman. America is in tragedy, people who've given up looking for works. I've put forward a program that's like my Utah governorship. I want to strip out loopholes and deductions, and corporate subsidies, and lower individual tax rates. Repeal Obamacare and Dodd-Frank. Third, we must reduce foreign oil dependence.

Perry. Said something cockily, then started smirking when the audience applauded.

Bachmann. Said that we shouldn't spend more than we have, then started smirking when the audience applauded.

Note: Stay cool cats! Don't let the bar for ego-stroking get too low, here.

Crain. The economy is on life support. We can't tinker around the edges. We need a bold solution with my 9/9/9 plan. You get the government out of the way, and the American people will get it done.

Romney. Texas is a great state, Perry's lucky to be in his spot.

Perry. We've led the nation in creating jobs.

Gingrich. The American people make jobs, not government.

Out of every dollar that I earn, how much do you think that I should be able to keep?

Huntsman: 8%, 14%, 24% on the individual side. On the corporate side, 25%.

Romney: I'd remove taxes on interest, dividends and capital gains.

No comments: