Thursday, September 8, 2011

White House Wonderland

Besides commander-in-chief responsibilities, is anything more important as president than gaining the trust of Congress? Maybe, just wondering.

In my job, I have a role of "management." It's important to me to attend staff meetings of the supervisor who reports to me.

When I'm in those meetings, the supervisor and I are in effect the "majority party." Whatever I say, goes.

That's why I say little.

More accurately, I exert as little opinion and influence as possible (at least, I try).

It's important to me to be friendly and optimistic, and to learn about these teammates of mine. The simple act of being there is a winner for everyone in the room. I learn their business, and they learn that I care about them.

After going around the table, I chip in any information I have that may be useful to them from elsewhere in the company. I also ask their opinion on larger matters in my control that affect them (staffing levels, workload and development, for instance).

My job as a leader is to use its power to help, not to command. It's to drop my management "party" hat at the door.

There is a time and place for me to be influential. With input from others, I make the call as to our final vision and reap or bear the results. And I find that with time, rather than having to impose the influence of my position (which is brittle, without trust), I am sought out to make decisions.

But this is a seed that sprouts over the course of time, more time than the "first 100 days" in office which is so unfortunately cast upon our presidents.

As I recall (it took me two tries to pass the Constitution exam) there are about 600 reps and senators. That would take a lot of meetings! In the heat of allocating the nation's limited resources, it would also take a person of remarkable ability to behave with poise.

My corporate comfort can't compare to the leadership of a nation. Maybe I'm speaking in fairy tales. Still, I'd be interested to know how well that type of approach would work on Capitol Hill.

600 bright people who trust their president and debate respectfully toward solutions. What could they accomplish? What could stop them, if they do not stop themselves?

No comments: