Friday, June 27, 2014

Dissecting That Peaceful, Easy Feeling

Today as I was pulling into the supermarket I realized how mellow and happy I was feeling. Whether the store was crowded or not, had the groceries I wanted or not, was simply not going to affect my mood. Being a positive person often takes deliberate action, rehearsed habit on my part but this was a sensation of bliss. So, I wondered, where did it come from and how can I keep it going?

We just finished a fabulous week in California without incident, filled with long walks and bike rides and sunshine. We were a little short on sleep due to the foreign hotel room, but after arriving safely at home and reuniting with Cupcake, I went to bed at midnight and slept 'til 11:00am. That left me an hour to get in a half-hour swim in our 80 degree pool before heading over for a Swedish massage. For health reasons I get massages weekly so that in itself wasn't new, but it was during the ride home when the glee really started to settle in. For some reason.

Since I had no responsibility over the vacation other than to get us from place to place, it's been a while since I encountered real failure or frustration over something. Today my "responsibilities" are extremely light... all that's left is to rehearse for Shrek tonight at 7:00.

I've been getting more iron in my diet lately, which was made easier by being in restaurants for dinner much of the last week. I should explore ways to replicate that at home.

I've been reading books more, surfing the web a little less.

Attitude fuels it. I realize how lucky I've been to have the past week. I've got a great business, wife, family, circle of friends, bank account balance. My health's been especially good in terms of nagging joints. I'm not worried about my survival, companionship, or legacy.

I've felt like this before. Maybe it's just one of those random gifts of God that pushes endorphins through our system and envelopes us with warmth. For however long it lasts, I'm going to savor it. Take care of my body. Arrive early. Look at the big picture. And as always, to give thanks.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice, big, juicy STEAKS!