Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Memorial Days: The Week In Thanks

I've spent a fair amount of time in therapeutic massage since September working out the elbow issues. One thing I've come to appreciate is the improvement in my posture and reduction of tension in my shoulders as a result. So this week's thanks is for that - loose shoulder blades.

The fantasy baseball teams are off to varied starts. One team is slogging along in 5th place, one has been at 4th place or higher the whole season, and one has rallied in May into 2nd place.

I was surprised and pleased to hit the 400 hour tutored mark by the end of the spring semester. It adds a layer of security and opportunity even beyond the many things we'd planned to be able to do when I retired. Putting in 20+ hours a week as a teacher still feels like retirement to me, since every hour is one of my own choosing. So blessed (and hopefully, the students feel that way too).

For summer reading I've started borrowing some books from my second home, the library. Hidden Bloggers are as fortunate as me to live in a society where we are taught to read. It opens up an infinite array of adventures, and is a luxury that billions around the planet can't afford. I get to do it from the comfort of an air-conditioned sofa.

Band leaders Sean and Jennifer Stevens continue in good health as baby #2 comes closer to joining us.

Good-hearted Dena was once again helping the noble fight against cancer, this time in a Relay for Life 5K run. She'd been battling and ultimately won against an injured calf muscle that popped up a week before the gun.

It's been a while since I gave a shout-out for microwave ovens, the lifeline to my getting the protein I need (read: chicken breasts).

I was pleased to hear from the pulpit on Sunday that the Catholic Church, at least in America it appears, will be placing a new emphasis on becoming more modern. What that means is yet to be seen, but the attitude itself speaks to proactivity and is refreshing to hear from the millenia-old religion.

The Spurs are back in the NBA Finals. Let's see them get the job done against the Heat this year.

Our neighborhood is a safe place. One I feel at ease in, as Cupcake continues to get bolder in exploring new territory. It's fun to see her confidence growing, as long as that does not include nibbling on my toes (a side effect of maturing, I suppose).

A fun conversation came up among us band mates before Mass about the amazing properties of skin. Resilient, self-healing, protective, long-lasting, infection-resistant, and usually good to look at. Quite the gift!

As I read about Phil Jackson and his diverse spiritual beliefs - a mix of Indian, Buddhist, Zen, Christian - it reminds me about the value of freedom of speech and religion. Where else besides America can a person so easily find his own individuality without obstacle?

I was born a good hugger, so Dena tells me. I'm glad for that.

Memorial Day was a couple weekends ago without a post from me, but absolutely deserves to be at the core of my thankfulness philosophy. The safety I talked about earlier, the freedoms, all funnel down from people who have lived and died fighting for them without help from me. Thanks is the least I can give.

No comments: