Monday, June 9, 2014

Why Mariano Rivera Succeeded

"One walk later my debut is history, with a terrible line (three and a third innings, eight hits, five runs, three walks, and five strikeouts) and a dispiriting walk to the dugout. If there's anything I can take from this, it's that I know I can get these guys out. It may sound strange after I've been roughed up that way, but a couple of better pitches in better locations and the whole thing plays out differently. I wish my start had been better. I wish the outcome were different. But I'm not devastated, and I am ready to make a better showing the next time out." - Mariano Rivera, Hall of Fame pitcher

Life's filled with failures, and by that I don't mean setbacks so much as people who give in to them. Mariano Rivera is a success, for a whole bunch of reasons, one of which being his resilience and optimism.

No comments: