Sunday, June 15, 2014

Inaugural Father's Day: The Week In Thanks

At Mass this Father's Day the traditional invitation was made for all fathers to rise and be applauded for their dedication. I did not, as usual, though this year is different in that I have been blessed with helping raise a little girl who happens to be covered with fur. She woke me up this morning with footfalls on my chest, insistent soft mewing to get up and be productive (specifically, to give her a walk, but hey a productive day's got to start somewhere right?). Her purring, rubbing, gazing, stretching, playing, climbing, exploring ways have added a fun dimension to our home even when that means attacking a computer mouse as if it's a real one.

I'm fascinated by the World Cup. Somehow the Olympics don't measure up to this quadrennial event where the entire world is focused upon a single team sport. In my opinion it can't adopt instant replay technology quickly enough, with all the games that are decided by a single referee's judgment error and thereby susceptible to scandal. But the promise of a global champion and the struggle for every goal makes scoring great world theater. Especially without the pressure of expectation that the USA will do much of anything.

I'm grateful for my ability to sing. That's led to my opportunities in theater. Which in turn led to the 30th birthday party I attended last night with a group of friends. It also led to a non-scorekeeping round of mini-golf, and an entertaining hour of karaoke. Even if there were no cake and ice cream, it would have been a good time.

I'm glad for good neighbors. The passing of Bert West reminds me how lucky I was to grow up with neighbors who were kindly, and continue so for my mom even today. Meanwhile, our condominium neighbors for the last 20 years have always been respectful and quiet. It could easily not be that way. I owe thousands of restful nights' sleep to that.

Thank you to whomever invented bathroom scales. They keep me honest, guide my eating decisions daily, and therefore steer me well.

The creators of the British show Sherlock, whose third and most recent season I just completed, and the cartoon Venture Brothers, whose pilot episode gave me smiles.

Online banking is terrific. It greatly eases the task of measuring up our finances and keeping us happy in retirement.

The staff of Shrek. Some of them are working triple jobs. It makes me appreciate their patience even further.

Finally, Travelocity's all-knowing ability to locate deals on flights, hotels and cars to get us to Los Angeles and San Diego next week. I had a need to call their customer service and got an excellent experience - at 10:30 on a Saturday night, no less.

May all fathers give thanks to God today, and everyday.


No comments: