Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Fiddler On The Run: The Week In Thanks

My routine is to use Mass for reflection about the things I'm thankful for during the past week, so my thoughts usually start in that neighborhood.

Today we had, somewhat unexpectedly, a violinist added to our band a few minutes before Mass started. We had just finished rehearsal, and had nothing set up for an extra musician. It made me thankful for a couple of things.

First, that experience has taught me the value of responding to these situations with wonderment instead of type-A frustration. Traditional Joe would have railed against the idea of a person being inserted into a team without any vetting for talent or personality fit, against the idea of an authority figure ruling without consent, and in a haphazard fashion to boot. So there's a good reason why I'm aiming to strand Traditional Joe in Siberia, because he's an ugly fellow. "I wonder how this will go?" I mused. Rather, "I wonder how God will make this go?" That peace of mind that comes with crediting God for what happens, however crazy the ending might turn out.

Second, and better yet, he was an awesome violin player. Heads were turning throughout the service. I felt like I was in Casting Crowns. If he stays, he'll be an asset. He can play by ear. And on his first day he was a quiet yet polite fellow too. So for one Sunday at least, I'm grateful for Lance.

Priests don't do every sermon (homily, in Catholic-speak). Occasionally as with this week, a deacon will step in and deliver a message. Epiphany has a couple good ones in Mark Cleary and Michael An. It's nice to hear a change of pace. That trio including the pastor is doing a fine job. Their campaign of church renewal has recently given rise to a welcome center that will guide visitors to the right place, a much-needed aid in the highly ritualistic nature of Mass.


Band leader Sean Stevens got his dream role in the musical Rent due to an unexpected cast resignation. Co-leaders Jennifer remains healthy and within a moment of giving birth to Lily. They're in their new house. Things are clicking.

I had twenty students on the docket this week for tutoring. I remember thinking that twenty would be an amazing number to reach, and it's here, and growing. I have a new license plate frame with my logo on it. And I got this entire weekend off, which is by no means what I demand - in a retiree's life every day is a weekend - but it's really nice to have a break after a satisfyingly full week of sessions. Another credit to God's blessings in this ministry of mine is that so far I've never had to say no to a student who asked for help. My schedule has always had just enough openings to make it work. It helped greatly this week when a new and uneasy student called me at noon on Thursday less than 24 hours before his Friday test, and we were able to get in an appointment that night and also the next morning.

In fact, Dena and I made our first visit to ISU's grandly remodeled Hancock football stadium. The night was classically autumn, with just enough warmth and humidity to feel like you were in your living room with a jumbo TV. Watching your alma mater throttle Austin Peay 55-6. And Dena randomly had two of her closest high school friends in the stadium so it was a reunion for her too.

I attended the monthly Leadership McLean County steering committee meeting, and saw inspiring feedback from the first session of the year from participants. September's a honeymoon in LMC - the selection committee's work is through, the adventure is just beginning, the weather is flawless. It's a good time to be around the table.

For some reason I spent very little of this summer outside by the pool, but I've gotten the urge recently and have been reveling in the pristine blue-sky days we've been fed this week. I have about a third of the musical Dirty Rotten Scoundrels memorized, and have been benefited by the fact that my new laptop can actually tap into my wi-fi network from the pool. Good for me, disturbing for any neighbors walking by while I talk to myself. Plus, the annual two-week season of fiercely-biting gnats has come to an end, so peace reigns.

Technology thanks of the week: Tooth bleaching. Improves your appearance and and all you have to do is keep your mouth shut for a half hour. So Dena might say there's a double benefit. :)

I ended the fantasy baseball seasons in 4th, 2nd and 2nd place out of about ten teams. Once again, God's inborn perseverance paid off over the course of a six month season. Meanwhile, my fantasy football team that Yahoo!'s computer picked to finish last in the league with one win, has won three already. That artificial boost of confidence has me riding a high as fantasy basketball drafts come around the corner.

Tomorrow is not only a day for a fresh pair of monthly contact lenses, but also Cupcake's first birthday. She literally causes me to wake up smiling on many days. It's going to be a great week.

No comments: