Sunday, September 21, 2014

Summer Spells And Absent Smells: The Week In Thanks

I learned today that bandmate's new puppy Teddy, who weighs about one pound, was clinging to life due to what appears to be hypoglycemia. She and her parents are watching over him every hour. The fact that, upon diagnosis, it was not a certainly-fatal liver condition is reason enough for praise. But it also puts into perspective how blessed Dena and I have been with Cupcake's health, and as she nears her first birthday, her continued maturity with all its cuteness.

Our music set at Mass felt better than it has in a few weeks. The songs were some of our more harmonious ones, which helped. I was again struck by how large the congregation seemed to be. The presence of a men's retreat boosted attendance too. But for some reason my voice was livelier than it's been recently. Not that I put any more effort into it, it simply felt looser. I approach the microphone as a chance to lift the spirits of hundreds by magnifying the gifts I've been given, and channeling the intense feeling of joy that is the good fortune in my life.

I've been back in the gym working out with weights for a few weeks now. I was measured and brief in my early ventures, but by now am feeling strong enough to push myself without enduring major punishment the following morning. The body's ability to adapt never fails to amaze.

There's always a story of turmoil somewhere. Lately it's been the almost unspeakable atrocities leveled by the extremists under the ISIS label. Elsewhere, Scotland considers independence from its neighbors. Domestic abuse stories rage on in the papers. Meanwhile, life in this town and my home is safe and robustly healthy.

I got a chance to listen to the cast of Rent sing for the first time via video clip. It's a warm feeling to see so many talented, good-hearted people producing art in one place. The experience of being in a CPT cast is as good as any religious retreat I've been on. I'm looking forward to Dirty Rotten Scoundrels this winter.

I've been reading a book about Chris Von der Ahe, owner of the St. Louis baseball team in 1883. At that time, less than two decades after the Civil War, the game of professional baseball was nearly dead. The hard-driving efforts of Von der Ahe and several others rekindled the sport into the machine that it is today. And as I battle valiantly for first place in fantasy baseball, I couldn't be more grateful then I am right now for what he did.

Since I was old enough to make a disgusted face, I've been picky about the things I put in my mouth. Those reluctant tastes have made me blander than some, but also distant from anything resembling obesity, smoking, drugs or drunkenness.

I've claimed Avanti's as my restaurant of choice since I first walked in its doors nearly 25 years ago. Then recently Dena made it known to me in an offhanded way during a conversation that the restaurant's atmosphere disagrees with her nose. This is partly why our marriage is so great: She does all she can to support my loves, and I am glad to adapt for her comfort. That's why we've been dining more at LaGondola the last two weeks!

The late summer sun has finally coaxed me outside to catch some rays this past week. I haven't had quite the passion to read outdoors as in previous years, but I'm glad that the urge struck when there was still enough time to feast on blue-skied generosity.

Did you see that Bears win last week? So unexpected after falling behind 17-0 on the road. Listening to Chicago sports radio was nirvana for a couple days, there. Enjoy it while it lasts!

It was a phenomenal week as far as condominium board business. A long-delinquent unit finally paid off a $6,000 debt. A settlement check arrived from State Farm for $7,000. A potential $21,000 surprise expense on the carports was dodged. An estimate on security lighting came in thousands of dollars under budget.

Finally pleased to report that Skunk-Smell-Gate is over. For now. No suspicious smells have invaded our nostrils from the attic. Still, we may have Critter Control take a peek. For now, it's an aromatic celebration every morning.

No comments: