Monday, September 8, 2014

Simplify

Dena's reading a book by megachurch pastor Bill Hybels called "Simplify." In part, it talks about increasing your energy by eliminating clutter and having a clearer purpose.

I also recall the first of seven habits of effective people as defined by Stephen Covey: Begin with the end in mind.

So what are the simple answers to the question "If I were on my deathbed, what would I most regret from the rest of my life?"

I asked myself a similar question at the beginning of my college career. There was a Bone Scholarship that designated the highest 13 graduating seniors. It was at the heart of my adventure, living as well-rounded and full of a life as possible.

Real life doesn't come with a similar lifetime achievement award. So what's the aim? What's the clear purpose?

For a while, I devoted myself to a church. Besides my personal shortcomings in faith, the logic behind striving for heaven using rules devised by scribes who still believed that the earth was flat just wasn't convincing enough.

"Life's short, have fun" evolved as my mantra somewhere after my dad's death. However, by now it doesn't give enough tribute to God. I believe that there's a good God who enjoys every moment that we live with spirit and gratitude.

"Life's short, have fun, be thankful" feels better.

There are people and circumstances in the world that suck the energy out of it, the brambles of creation that I respectfully leave in God's care as they were designed. My purpose is to place myself and carry myself in ways that reflect the light of God's goodness as fully as possible.

I provide art through my writing, singing and acting; fill needs through math and accounting; care for my body through diet, exercise, rest and recreation. I surround myself with positive people.

In the end, I want to look back and say that I brightened lives with my gifts, and maximized my reasons to smile. Clear and simple enough?






No comments: